Saturday, September 1, 2007

Malibu Chili Cook-off: First Time

I went to the Malibu Chili Cook-off for the first time. As a senior I felt is was about time to experience one of the only events that takes place in Malibu during the year that is actually open to the public - also my friend Megan picked me up and dragged me to Malibu.

I must say I was disappointed for a Saturday afternoon, I only saw 3 chili places. My idea of a chili cook off is eating lots of samples of different types of chili and voting on a favorite. The chili that gets the most votes then wins the Chili Cook-Off.

Apparently this is not the case in Malibu, I think the sign for the outcome of the event were the tons on "No Refunds" signs hanging up everywhere outside the event. It cost $10 to get into the event and then you had to buy food tickets to get food and ride tickets to ride any of the carnival rides.

The Chili cost $8 per cup, you have got to be kidding me. I know the money goes to a good cause but I spent $35 in the first 30 minutes at the cook-off and I did not really do anything. I did see Gary Busey at the event though.

I just Malibu would follow in the tradition of a Chili Cook-Off instead of a good old fashion Malibu "Rip-Off."

On the positive side I did get my picture taken in front of a giant hot dog.

0 comments: