Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Top 5: A2 News Columns

As I sit around the office thinking of topics to write about for my A2 column "Fly with Segal" that has been resurrected after a year and a half break I can't help but think back to some of my favorite A2 columns of the past.

Here are my TOP 5 A2 News Columns:

No. 1. Yin to the Yang: Words of wisdom passed down (By Jenny Yang)

With final weeks of college approaching, I’m tempted to look back and remember all the good times. Then again I’m also tempted to steal the parrot off our crazy neighbor’s bathrobe-clad shoulder as he paces the street at 10:00 a.m. stealing newspapers from driveways (true story). I’m not usually one to resist a good temptation, but this time I’ll pass on both the tearful goodbye and on petty theft, respectively.

No. 2. Breathe in, breathe out, inhale a memory (By Audrey Reed)

According to a deodorant commercial, “Scent is the strongest sense tied to memory.” If the slogan is true, when I leave Malibu in less than a year, I’ll have a potpourri of memories to look back upon.

No. 3. Football: ultimate spirit booster (By David Kob)

Face it — everyone is miserable because we do not have a football team. I see it in their faces. They know the weekend is coming and campus will be dead. They dream of waking up early on Saturday, getting their Pepperdine gear on, and spending the day tailgating and celebrating another Waves victory.

No. 4. Randy's philosophy provides insights (By Scott Miller)

As I sat in my lecture class in Elkins last week, my professor was explaining a biblical passage from the book of Luke; he was afraid that it would sound too much like social Darwinism, so he quickly explained that it was nothing of the sort, and that it wasn’t “Ayn Rand, or ‘Atlas Shrugged’ stuff” (“Atlas Shrugged” being a 1957 novel written by Rand, which was very political in nature, arguing against social welfare and for a very socially Darwinistic approach to government). As a reader, and moderate admirer of Rand, I couldn’t help but notice and mark the tone of contempt in my professor’s voice as he pronounced Rand’s name and magnum opus.

No. 5. Find new stress relievers or a date (By Chris Segal)

Forget buying stress balls or paying for massages — buy the book “Dianetics” by L. Ron Hubbard. The creator of Scientology, Hubbard, wrote the book, which has sold more than 20 million copies worldwide.



WHAT WERE YOUR FAVORITE A2 COLUMNS???

0 comments: